First up, I’m trying to distribute this via Apple’s TestFlight app. Its new to me, so I’m learning as well.
Basically, I can upload a build, and it gets distributed via the TestFlight app which you can install from iTunes.
So please search for TestFlight on iTunes, and install it.
You should also I believe soon get a invitation from TestFlight - I’ve not sent this yet, as I wish to get everything else in place first.
When we are happy with a TestFlight release, we can push it to the live iTunes channel.
I’ve taken the complete list of email addresses from HockeyApp, and pushed those across to iTunes, so you should get an email notification when iTunes is ready with the build.
Before an app goes live on iTunes, Apple have to sign-off on it. For TestFlight the inference is they may or may not test it, so I’m not quite sure yet how long between releasing it to this channel and it being available to install. I guess we are about to find out.
***PLEASE – Once you are up and running please open up My Maps and do a SYNC. Quite a lot has changed, and this should update everything.
· Cultural bug where we would not start up on a device set to some foreign languages (Dutch was the example problem 0.5 vs 0,5 type thing.). Fixed.
· Grab Handles on Edit have been re-instated. Still some tidying up to do here on tolerances on selection.
· Trackpoint accuracy was getting messed up by being translated via the current map type. If you were on a course map type, with say each pixel being 25m, it meant each trackpoint got snapped to a 25m grid! It’s now getting parsed directly as it should not get snapped at all.
· Settings->GPS Markers & Tracklogs has a new checkbox – “Add the accuracy of the GPS fixing to trackpoint comment field.” Which gets correctly formatted to feet or metres.
· Can’t change map whilst map is centred on GPS location – fixed.
· Can’t use Find Place whilst map is locked to GPS – fixed.
· Some further crash report fixes to hopefully improve stability further.
· Verify will now verify partial maps – it no longer fills in gaps, but just checks each map tile is the size expected IF we have it locally. If it’s wrong, it will download the replacement tile. This should therefore allow people to verify partial maps that with map streaming are now a common occurrence.
The other major change is in map download.
We now queue the tiles to download up with an internal Apple system. It will then just process through the map tiles that are queued regardless if we are a foreground or background process. If you queue up multiple maps, and you keep OMN as the foreground app, OMN will just work its way through the complete list.
If we are the background app, we can’t start the next map download when one stops even though its in the OMN queue of maps to download, so we pop up a notification to the user to let them know. If they then bring OMN back to the foreground, it will start the next map download by adding all the required map tiles to the queue.
As each map tile is downloaded, we are called in the background to process the download. Should iOS shut the app down to reclaim memory etc, then again, we notify the user that they need to restart their map downloads.
Apple provides a good setup for background download of data, but our structure doesn’t currently fit well with it, hence the required messages. With further work this can be improved further, but I believe this should now make map download a very robust operation.
On putting OMN in the background we now purge 70% of our map tile cache. When you come back to the foreground you might therefore see some white space whilst it loads tiles. We are doing this to be a good iOS citizen, and also it would appear that iOS sensibly when it needs memory shuts down the worst offenders, so we are trying to keep our resource usage much lower when in the background. This should also benefit us when recording tracklogs.
I have’t currently supplied a HockeyApp build - I’m hoping I can simplify my release procedures and just push to iTunes.
It would appear that 1.01 is currently on TestFlight from just before the original release.
1.02 is listed as 'waiting for review', so I think that answers that question!
Ok, I've just pushed the build to HockeyApp as well. Thanks Ernie. TestFlight should I hope allow us to expand the beta program considerably - no need for UDID's, and no 200 user limit!
And now 1.02 is live on TestFlight.... guess I may well be able to drop HockeyApp....
Ok, I'm guessing no-one else can see 1.02 yet? I think I can as I'm an administrator on TestFlight. Within TestFlight, its still showing as awaiting review.
Installed TestFlight but its asking for a Redeem Code? I'll try HockeyApp...
Like Ernie the version I downloaded was 1.01 and testflight is now saying that the invite was redeemed and I need to request another invite..
In process of installing from Hockeyapp
1.02 installed fine from HockeyApp. Did a map sync and all seems ok.
1.01 installed from test flight following the e-mail I got (which I already had installed from testing something else - forget what). I see there's a mail from from via Hockey - i'll try that now.
Thanks Ernie. 1.01 was is in fact the release build. I`m wondering if when Apple says ok to 1.02 if it will send out more emails. I`m going to hang fire until Apple say 1.02 is ok. We had over 500 people on the original beta list, but with UDID hoops to jump through and the Apple 200 limit, HockeyApp has served us well, but it has been a restriction as well.
Downloaded 1.02 from hockeyapp and performed sync. Went into My Maps and started a download of 1:25K HD -SU . The download appears to have stalled - showing 1579/1600 - 99% cloud for the past 15 mins. Another set of tiles, SY, is showing as Pending.
Another 10 mins has passed and still no movement..