Start a new topic

iOS Beta 1.08

Hi chaps,

There are a lot of changes in this one, which really come into two different areas:

**** PINCH ZOOM appears broken in this beta. I've let the beta out, as frankly a lot of this is for discussion anyway.

Statistics Interface

This is a game. We don't want to do too much work, find its not working and loose the development time, yet we have to do enough so you can use your imaginations to fill in the gaps.... so there are plenty of rough edges. Try to look at the big picture for the moment.

First up, none of the data is real. We are simply looking at how we interact with it.

Top left is an icon (which would need replacing).

You can tap on it, to expand it.

You can swipe on it (but currently you have to finger down, move, finger up within the confines of the button) - we can improve that.

You now have 3 data fields. Text isn't quite formatted correctly, but it sizes to the space it has.

Double tap on any item, and you can change it. (I would prefer long press, but currently the library we use doesn't support that - apparently it will early next year.)

None of your settings are remembered between sessions currently.

Swipe down and it goes full screen. (I think it should just be enough for the data, leaving the map showing)

You can now either swipe up to contract it. Or swipe left to close it.

If you swipe left whilst its expanded, the next time you open it, it will still be expanded.

For my liking its coming together - its fluid, and works nicely. Part of me does want to put the button bottom left so I can tap once to see it, tap again to close it. But then I think most of the time I would have the small bar in place anyway, so on balance I think I like it as it is.

I sometimes find swipe down brings in the Android/iOS notifications area.

Feedback please.

Tracklogs

Android has been a nightmare with different issues of memory management and different versions of Android shutting our app down to conserve memory.

A lot of core code changes, one of which is that we now write a tracklog to a separate file whilst we are not the foreground process, and we bring the data across as we come to the foreground. The other plus of this format is that if the app crashes, on restart, we pick up where we were. So although iOS has been very stable in this regard, this should mean that if you switch your phone off, run out of battery or something, then on restart we should recover.

Memory Usage

We have further improved this, and you should no longer get warnings on iOS about OMN. We now reduce our footprint even further, and clean our cache of map tiles completely when asked for memory by iOS.

Many thanks,

Graham

What’s not to like ! Functionality works as described. I can expand ,contract and select data either on the bar or the full page. Simple interface and not fiddly so all looks good to me as far as the iPad goes. Better see what it feels like on the phone but looks top drawer to me. Tim
Yep phone good too. Tim

Hi Graham,

As implemented it is fluid and workable and it looks good..

just a couple of observations

1) swipe right on the icon doesn't always reveal but tap always does. tap feels right ...

2) swipe left to close, swipe has to be in middle or right to work. Swipe left in the leftmost box doesn't close. 

3) swipe down and the gps icon appears to invert (highlights the white around the icon)

4) Dont like the different sizes of fonts. You said it resizes to space it has but would look betterwith same size font.

Dennis

Hi Graham,

Tracklogs are broken (they were completely stable for me)

started an armchair tracklog and let it record for about 20 mins or so. opened gpx editor and selected info.  Total ascent/Descent not populated but should be.

Selected segment ->info and omn crashed (SIGEGV). restarted, opened track log in gpx editor and selected info (on track name), crashed (SIGABRT) 

Crashes hopefully sent.

Dennis

Hi Graham,

on ipad also looks ok. when swiping down most of the screen is grey, could the map show through to some degree?

Looking good..

Dennis 

Hi Graham,

1.08 downloaded and installed just fine.

The data strip works fine but only when I tap the icon - swiping right has no effect. But as Dennis says tapping does feel right. If you decide to move to tap then menu icon could be changed to a button.

Swiping left to close works fine and feels good as does swiping down to reveal the full stats. Swipe up and left to hide them is also good. (I assume the white ring round the GPS button appears because the screen is now all grey). Double tap to change cell works ok but long press would eventually be better.

It seems odd that with the data strip revealed the map shows below but with the full stats revealed the map is greyed out. It would be more consistent (and visually better) to keep the map showing beneath both.

You indicated that the font is sized to fill the cell. I think that may be the case for the name (e.g. 'speed') but the font size of the data value itself is quite small - it needs to MUCH bigger.

I got the same crash when selecting info in GPX explorer (no crash report generated) but on a repeat after a restart the crash did not occur.

I haven't had any problems with swiping down notifications.

Hopefully the pinch-zoom will soon be restored but at the moment stats management looks and feels really good.

Summary:-

show the map below both the stats strip (as now) and the full stats (currently all grey)

use tap to reveal the data strip and change the menu icon to a button

increase the font size in the cells (as in OMNC)

Hi Graham,

Installed fine and worked well on iOS 9.3.5 on old iPad mini too.

Agree map should be visible, standardise readable size fonts.  I think part of the visibility problem is that black on grey provides low contrast, black on yellow would be easier too read (recommended for partially sighted people).

I would like to see options for Current Time and Distance.  Distance may seem an odd request as tapping on the track log will show this however....if one is following a route and the track log is recording on top of the route tapping on the track sometimes shows the route distance.

Peter

Hi Graham,

Yesterday using 1.07. 

Some time after starting a walk yesterday I was surprised when checking the distance covered to find I had covered 3,509.26 miles!

Looking at the data on GPX Editor there was a rogue point that seems to have been created right at the start of the walk even though I was on the edge of an open road when I started the Tracklog.  When I tried to delete the point I was asked if I wanted to delete the entire segment but that included all my other trackpoints so I was reluctant to say yes.  In the end I did say yes and only that point appeared to have been deleted.  Strangely the distance had not changed.  I saved the tracklog and re-opened it and found the distance was now about right.  I started a new tracklog and completed the walk.  Back home after a sync the route looked fine on my MacBook.

Peter

Hi Graham,

An update on tracklogs. I've been out and done a short 1km walk tracking on iPhone with release OMN and iPad with b1.08. On both I have 50m interval set (X metres in settings). 

iPhone is fine in that it records 21 tracepoints (app 1km) max height, ascend, descent as expected.

iPad (b1.08) records heights and ascents/descents ok but at some point during the recording the interval gets itself reset from 'x metres' to 'x meters and x (5) seconds'. Now stop recording, open GPX editor, tap info and OMN crashes (no crash report indicated). Restart OMN, open tracklog, open GPX editor and tap info and the data shows fine (no crash) although trackpoints now show over 140 because the interval got reset to include 5secs. This is repeatable in that if, after recording a tracklog, you immediately open GPX editor and tap info, it crashes, restart and select info again, no crash. This does not happen with the release on iPhone.

BTY - pleased to see SI abbreviations in the stats - schools will be pleased I'm sure.

Just seen Peters comment re contrast. I agree that black on yellow would be more visible and thus probably more DDA compliant.

Tony

Chaps, I will come back with comments a bit later.

However, on the Stats Interface, could I please ask you to see this thread

https://support.anquet.com/discussions/topics/13000018644

Graham

Installed on iPhone 6S iOS 11.1.1

Top left is an icon (which would need replacing).

As a general comment, the top of the screen isn't a great place for controls on iPhones as it can be difficult to reach one-handed on a + or iPhone X (just take a look at the flack Apple is getting for moving access to control centre up to top right on X).

Icon would work well at bottom left although you'd then be faced with what to do with the statistics. If the stats were at the bottom, then would they be covered? If the stats were at the top then which gestures would you use to control them - naturally the gestures would be on the stats which would get back to the problem with getting to the top of the screen.

You can tap on it, to expand it.

Feels natural

You can swipe on it (but currently you have to finger down, move, finger up within the confines of the button) - we can improve that.

Tap, swipe left or swipe up works. Swipe up is weird! Tap is natural, swipe left and swipe right don't feel natural - in fact swipe up on the icon feels weird - completely counter intuitive.

The statistics appear too quickly - feels foreign, it ought to slide down rather than just appear.

You now have 3 data fields. Text isn't quite formatted correctly, but it sizes to the space it has.

Double tap on any item, and you can change it. (I would prefer long press, but currently the library we use doesn't support that - apparently it will early next year.)

Long press or 3d-touch press would be correct. I understand the issue with the library. One of the problems with such libraries are that the resulting apps often don't feel like proper iOS apps.

None of your settings are remembered between sessions currently.

Swipe down and it goes full screen. (I think it should just be enough for the data, leaving the map showing)

Yes - should show the map. Again, I think the display should slide down - then you'd end up with the limited data at the lower part. [Or if you move the stats to the bottom, vice-versa].

I've also had problem with swiping down the notifications rather than the larger stats window. Perhaps boundary at the bottom of the stats, maybe with an V arrow, would encourage pulling from the bottom, avoiding the notifications. If you went for pulling down then sliding the display would match.

You can now either swipe up to contract it. Or swipe left to close it.

As mentioned, doesn't work from left-most column.

If you swipe left whilst its expanded, the next time you open it, it will still be expanded.

For my liking its coming together - its fluid, and works nicely. Part of me does want to put the button bottom left so I can tap once to see it, tap again to close it. But then I think most of the time I would have the small bar in place anyway, so on balance I think I like it as it is.

See my comments above on this. If selection of statistics is really model then having it at the top wouldn't be a problem as it would be infrequently invoked. I suspect that on a large phone you'd leave stats on display; on a small phone you might toggle but reach isn't such as issue.

I sometimes find swipe down brings in the Android/iOS notifications area.

Yes. See above.

Feedback please.

I've not tried the other features yet. I had various problems getting the beta installed - don't know why - but did eventually manage but did take some time. Not had that problem before

Roger

HI chaps,

1.09 is now up.

https://support.anquet.com/discussions/topics/13000018748

I will come back to the comments.

Many thanks,

Graham

Login to post a comment