Building on 1.0.29,
not sure if the last comment posted so trying again.
Installed this beta, rebooted the PC and tried to start OMN 3 times. each time I got an "OMN has stopped working" message.
@Paul - verify just checks currency of the map data. I think in many ways, this should get merged with re-index at some time which basically updates our indexes of what mapping is currently on device. Re-index just makes sure our index of what is on the device is in our index. This can get out of sorts should we get a crash during download, or you move data by hand etc.
@Ian, can you try this link please:
But rather than deleting the files, could you keep them. See if it all starts up from fresh. Then close down, and put the 'bad' files back in place and see if it crashes again. If so, somehow we have corrupted those two files, and in which case if you could email them to support that would be most useful, as I can then write some code to catch the issue hopefully.
I presume I needed to "delete" Beta-Settings.xml and Beta-OMN.db. I did this and got the same error. So it's not those files that are the issue.
I could try and re-download/reinstall the app if that is a good next step.
@Ian - strange. So yes, please try an uninstall/reinstall. 1.0.31 is now in fact available - the notifications haven't been set off yet, as we are still internally testing it.
@Graham, 31 installed and working. Well at least starting which is an improvement for me :-)